Outreach visits to marginalized populations are the focus of Chant Aid. The practice of singing together with the intention of love and peace breaks down barriers and opens hearts! We match chant musicians with facilities in order to share the healing, anti-depressant power of group chanting. Click this link to read about the healing capacities of chanting. Attendees report feeling joyful and relaxed as a result of these visits. Sites include recovery centers, shelters, hospitals, schools, veterans centers, prisons, nursing homes and workplaces. Artists, caregivers and residents benefit from this wonderful service!
Here is a testimonial from a yoga teacher who gained our financial assistance and coordination support in organizing an outreach event at a maximum security prison in Nashville, Tennessee:
“Thank you again…so much…for your support and enthusiasm. The stipends added a welcome “peace” to our offering. Thank you for your energy, intention, & goodness you are contributing to the Kirtan in Prisons project…to the healing and re-balancing of this world”. -A.B.
How To Get Involved
- Tell your fellow lovers of conscious music about this program!
- Sponsor a visit to one of the correctional centers.
- Volunteer with the Call and Response Outreach Program. Click here to learn more!
Current Partnering Sites
- Oregon State Penitentiary
- Oregon State Correctional Institute
- Santiam Correctional Institute
- WISE Battered Womens’ Organization
- Second Spring Psychiatric Facility
- Skyland Trail Music Therapy Program
- Riverbend Maximum Security Prison
- Hope Gateway Refugee Center
- Rutgers College
- Wellesley College
- University of Alabama
- University of Florida
- Mississippi State University
- Bowdoin College
- Mindful Yoga
Current Partnering Artists
- Benjy and Heather Wertheimer
- John de Kadt
- Brenda Mc Morrow
- Gaura Vani
- The Hanumen
- Jai Uttal
- Kirtan Soul Revival
- The Mayapuris
- Adam Bauer
- Amy Barnes
Click HERE to donate. Your generous donation supports the Call and Response Outreach Program.
- $200 per visit to cover travel expenses, scheduling, lodging and meals for visiting artists.
- Spreading awareness of program with goals: partnering with more participating artists; finding new institutions and existing programs willing to partner; inspiring new volunteers willing to create word of mouth campaign.
Call and Response is currently open for requests from other facilities interested in hosting live conscious music events. Email email@example.com for details.
Inmate Testimonials From Correctional Facilities
- “This is the first time I’ve felt free behind bars”
- “In 25 years of prison, this is the best day.”
- “This music penetrates the heart whether you want it to or not.”
- “Thank you to the instructors that come in ever week. The biggest thing for me is dependability. If you say you are going to do something, then do it. Our lives are very isolated in here, and we don’t know what is going on in your lives on the outside, but we are incredibly appreciative of the time you give us. Thank you very much.”